Thursday, November 6, 2014

Passion?

What was once typed. . . . 




Personal Statement (Bachelor of Art with Honours in Communication Design)

Doodling away on blank spaces on a piece of paper is how I kill boredom. 5 years ago, an idea of opening a shop selling things that is done by myself came up to my mind. As a person with many aspiration, at the age of 16 I aspire to be a psychologist, a tour coordinator, a photo journalist, and an entrepreneur . Nevertheless, after graduating from ‘O’ levels, I went ahead to pursue my interest in Hospitality & Tourism Management at Temasek Polytechnic. During the course of studies, I have touched on the different sectors in hospitality and tourism, and also the basics of business. What was learnt during the course of studies has totally nothing to do with arts. In order to include art as part of my learning throughout my course of studies, I took up art related modules for my cross-disiplinary subjects.

Understanding Art and 20th Century Fashion are 2 Art related modules that I have taken up. The pictures submitted for this portfolio are mainly the art pieces done during the modules. The files name ‘Zihui 01 – Zihui 03’ are the developments of ideas for clothing designs. File ‘Zihui 04 & Zihui 05’ are the final work for designs of the 1900s era, while file ‘Zihui 06 – Zihui 08’ are the final work for designs revolving around concept of Gucci brand. File ‘Zihui 09 – Zihui 13’ are art pieces done for Understanding Art module, each revolving around different themes. The rest of the files are just random art work done over the years, each able to show how I use my love for doodle to recreate art differently.

As a graduate from Diploma of Hospitality and Tourism Management, I have gotten some knowledge of business and also experiences in the industry. To realize my dream of opening a shop related to my hobby, Art, choosing Bachelor of Art with Honours in Communication Design will definitely  be benificial. I believe that choosing this programme will help to heighten my ability in communicating the message behind my art pieces. In addition, it will also equip me with skills that will benefit me when I start to venture into opening of the shop related to art. Also, this programme was chose mainly due to my personal interest in art as this programme will focus on Graphic Design, Illustration, and Photography.

Having graduated from a diploma under faculty of Business, I now want my next step to be something different, that adds value to my current skills. Taking up Bachelor of Art with Honours in Communication Design will definitely be a skill that could even add value in the Hospitality and Tourism industry.


No comments: